PDA

View Full Version : A whole new direction - Origin PC?

Mar10
06-07-2013, 08:25 PM
Previously we were considering purchasing GPU Xpanders but as many have mentioned, we started running the numbers and it probably makes more sense to just get upgraded PCs. Anyways, just wanted to get some opinions on this possible setup from Origin PC. Does anyone have experience with them? What issues am i overlooking?

Couple notes: 1-We want to stick with a Quadro for Solidworks and would specify the twin 780s dedicated for rendering. 2 - This is in a corporate environment. Please do not suggest a DIY build. I know you could build it for cheaper but that isn't happening here anytime soon.

__________________________________________________ __________________
Origin PC - GENESIS Pro
Details
Case: Enermax Fulmo GT
Case Fans: Standard Case Fans
Motherboard: ASUS P9X79 WS
System Cooling: ORIGIN FROSTBYTE 120 Sealed Liquid Cooling Systems
Processors: Intel Core i7 3820 3.6GHz/3.9GHz Turbo Quad-Core (10MB L3 Cache)
Power Supply: 1050 Watt Corsair HX1050
Graphic Cards: Dual 3GB EVGA GTX 780
Optional Graphic Card: Single 2GB NVIDIA Quadro 4000
Memory: 32GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz (4x8GB)
Operating System: Genuine MS Windows 7 Professional 64-Bit Edition
Hard Drive One: 240GB Intel 520 Series SSD
Optical Drive One: ASUS 24X CD/DVD Burner (No DVD Playback Software for Windows 8 Included)
Audio: On Board Audio
Networking: Onboard Network Port
ORIGIN Maximum Protection Shipping Process: ORIGIN Wooden Crate Armor
Warranty: 1 Year Part Replacement and 45 Day Free Shipping Warranty with Lifetime Labor/24-7 Support
ORIGIN Recovery: ORIGIN Recovery USB Flash Drive

jakes
06-11-2013, 02:39 PM
We have a few Origin boxes in house. Generally, they are pretty good but need a good bit of tweaking and oversight with drivers. The Asus motherboards are good but not always stable. I do suspect that might have been because we were running 2x GTX 690 cards and those can cause some strange conflicts. Our new box with dual Titans and our old box with dual 580s has been rock solid.
I would check out AVAdirect. As you were previously looking for GPU expanders, AVA might have more options available for 3+ gpus.

Mar10
06-11-2013, 08:10 PM
Thanks Jakes for the info.

Does anyone else have an opinion on this setup even if you have no experience with Origin PCs?

I believe David mentioned the Inline render mode was being dropped in the future versions. If so, will that make specifying which GPUs to use impossible without jumping to an uber expensive Maximus setup? If I am unable to specify cards, I understand that we will be limited by the Quadros 2GB VRAM but will there be any other issues with these cards working together?

thanks