PDA

View Full Version : Help creating realistic illumination thru plastic

haknslash
06-12-2013, 04:58 PM
Hi all. I was bored yesterday so I wanted to model up an old school Simon memory game. I wanted to create a cool animation using emmisives and the different color pads lighting up at different times. I'm having a hard time trying to get realistic lighting of the pads. Any help would be appreciated.

Included in the attached files is a stock file I found on the internet of one lite up to give you an idea of light spread and intensity through the plastic.

JohnG
06-12-2013, 06:21 PM
I'd start by setting the transparency color to be the same as the diffuse color, then increase the internal roughness to around 50. If you want more diffusion set the diffusion color to be the same as the diffuse color as well. Its then a matter of adjusting those parameters to get the desired result.
Setting the transparency and diffusion colors to be the same as the diffuse will color the light coming through the plastic, if you'd rather have it more neutral then just reduce the saturation of the transparency and diffusion colors.

It would also help if you model the plastic pads with a real thickness then you could check solid and enter the thickness value as well. Also your IOR seems very high for plastic, this might give you a bright sheen which would counteract the diffusion effect.

haknslash
06-12-2013, 07:40 PM
Thanks John! That definitely got me headed in the right direction.

haknslash
06-13-2013, 01:31 AM
Used the decal system.

I also going to model up the box and have the toy sitting on top so its not just in a blank space. :cool:

Ah trip down memory lane as a kid

blitz
06-13-2013, 04:18 PM
If you want to reduce noise, you could try a different approach. Create an emmissive map in photoshop and apply to the pads. The emmissive map should be an HDRI and be painted for realism, of course you need to have some good skills in photoshop to accomplish this.

This way you have full control over the look of the emmissive, and you can easily tone down or increase the intensity of the emmissive, or even animated the brightness. You will get much less noise and the images will resolve faster.

haknslash
06-13-2013, 08:05 PM
The images were just realtime screenshots, not renders, so that is why they are so noisy and low-res :cool:. But thanks for the tips on creating a more flexible workflow for emmissives. I rarely ever use emmissive in my line of work but it's fun to play with the effect.