PDA

View Full Version : Will Kepler Quadro and GeForce GTX play nice together?

Mar10
06-13-2013, 05:12 AM
Can we use a Quadro K2000 or K4000 with multiple GTX 780s for added Cuba rendering power? I am hoping that since all these cards are Kepler based they will work together without issue?

I am really unsure if we need to go the Maximus route and like the idea of using cheaper GeForce cards to boost rendering. If we can decrease the render time enough, we really won't need to dedicate GPUs to render and others to continue working with Maximus. We use Solidworks exclusively for 3D and Bunkspeed, obviously, to render. So we need a Quadro card for sure. We could splurge for a single K20 and go the Maximus route or buy multiple GTX 780 or Titans for the same money.

Regardless of all the rambling, will Quadros and GeForce of the same family, in this case Kepler, work ok together?

blitz
06-13-2013, 04:21 PM
I think they should work. David should chime in on this one.

krk1
07-15-2013, 02:52 PM
I would like to know this as well. I'm an engineer who needs a basic Quadro for PTC Creo 2 (ProE). But I can't afford high-end Quadros and I can't afford a Tesla.

david.randle
07-15-2013, 06:01 PM
We don't test/certify that combination so i am unable to recommend mixing Quadro/GeForce. Also, iray itself has never been extremely happy even with mixed GeForce in a single system. wouldn't imagine its any better with GeForce/Quadro combined. If you are planning on getting all new hardware and you're going with one of the main OEM's, you'll probably just want to go the K4000/K20 route as it will be warranty covered etc. Also, depending on what you are rendering, the new 2014 version (coming any day now) has the new Fast raytracer which is lightening even on a single GPU so you may not need to go overkill on hardware....

krk1
07-16-2013, 01:25 AM
Can you tell me whether or not you have heard of people either having problems or not having problems? Why would there be problems? Is it that the computer would be using disparate sets of drivers when normally in multi-card systems they just use one set of drivers or something? I wouldn't want to use the Geforce for running displays. I'd exclusively be using it for Shot.

david.randle
07-16-2013, 07:45 AM
i don't know of anyone, nor do i have feedback from anyone running a completely mixed system like that. Yes, you would need to run two drivers which is the main reason i would foresee problems. GeForce and Quadro don't run off the same driver. What you are trying to do is exactly what Teslas are designed to do, not Geforce. Geforce cards were never designed to run as compute nodes exclusively. I hope im being helpful but in the end, the decision is up to you. I just don't want to see a fairly sizable investment cause you frustration and cause our software to look bad and perform badly for you. Without talking to someone who has been running that config i'd be very hesitant to be the first....

Mar10
07-16-2013, 02:56 PM
KRK1, Nvidia's official response is linked below where they say mixing Quadro/Geforce give "unpredictable results". Basically they state that both GPUs need to run the same driver to avoid conflicts. Quadros and Geforce cards use different distinct drivers. Some people claim, around the web, that certain nvidia drivers will work on both and that it can be done, but in the end we decided it was definitely not worth the risk to try this setup.

Hope this helps.

http://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2280

krk1
07-16-2013, 10:42 PM
Thanks for the tips. I wish they would come out with a budget line of Teslas that only do single-precision or something. I want to raytrace but it's not my livelihood so I can't justify spending thousands on hardware I don't use for anything else. If Nvidia would lower the barrier of entry I bet a lot more people would get into it.

david.randle
07-17-2013, 12:24 AM
Are there specific Quadro driver features you need for Solidworks? I know lots of people successfully running SW on GeForce cards. They just don't use the few things that it requires quadro for. If that's the case, you can put together a much more affordable all GeForce system.

jakes
07-17-2013, 04:18 PM
We run all our software ( Alias, Proe, Bunkspeed, SW, and all sorts of other misc pieces) on Geforce cards. We don't have any issues as far as I can tell but then we don't try to push models as big as aerospace or automotive firms do. We use GTX 580's, 590's, 680's and Titans without any major headaches. What I have seen is that the new iray engine does not like to mix Kepler and Fermi cards. I can't say that Quadro / Geforce will have the same issues but I would try to borrow some hardware to test before buying.
For us, the cost of trying to roll out Quadro to our large design group would be too taxing. I do wish we could evaluate some of the newer Quadro cards for some of our machines to see if the optimized drawing features are the real deal. Look up the recent Tom's hardware writeup on benchmarking Quadro, Geforce and ATI workstation cards against consumer / prosumer cards. The Titan and 690's killed the workstation cards for GPU rendering but they got hammered on driver optimized draw speed functions.
To me, the ideal card has not been released yet by anyone. I think they are hamstrung by product marketing!

Aselert
07-17-2013, 07:18 PM
My experience is that Quadro and GeForce work together without problem ... But only before the 2014 beta!
Because now nothing works! I do not know if it's this is a beta bug or because my config (Quadro FX 1700 + Geforce GTX 480) is no longer compatible but just now nothing is good!
My colleague still have a Geforce GTX570 + Quadro 600 with the 2012.6 version without problem.

Tomorrow I will try reinstalling the Pro 2014 RC and then removing my Quadro, to test where the problem is.

Aselert
07-23-2013, 11:38 AM
In fact the problem with the 2014 version (Pro RC) does not come from hardware, but the current instability of the software (still in Beta).

I removed my Quadro and problems still persist.
Geforce and Quadro actually work well as a duo, and anyway drivers are the same. Many CG artists use this configuration for Octane render. It is a kind of a "cheap Maximus". For sure Maximus will not work with it! But you have a Quadro for display and a Geforce as a Tesla...

I do this for one simple reason: when I render ​​with Pro, the PC is totally unusable... So I parted with the Nvidia control panel my 2 cards: one for rendering and all CUDA applications (GeForce) and the other for the display (Quadro).

sergioelatomico
07-28-2013, 12:08 PM
As shown in Aselert, I e run 2012.6 version with a Quadro fx 4800 and a gforce gtx 470 with good results and a fairly fluid workflow, the 2014 version not the e tested, if they show me a download link could do tests, with the 2012 perform several tests coming to the conclusion that many more cards with cuda have, more fluid goes the program, my installation is with quadro, that drivers way for modeling use quadro and render it is when you use the two, something that I could find out with several cards that use for testing is a graph with dual gpu, is penalized more, for example it is better to put two gtx 680 sli to a gtx690.
I hope I helped, greetings