+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Object or surface offset for visualization.

Object or surface offset for visualization.

Good morning all,

I would like to put in a request for being able to create an offset surface or object.
    But Bunkspeed isn't a modeling program! Correct, however sometimes if you want to quickly visualize adding another material layer to something like something softgoods, you have an inner and outer layer of fabric. I might like to assign a different texture to the inside of an object but I didn't think to do that a dew weeks back when I made a model of it. I suppose there might be a way of assigning one material to one side of a surface and a different material to the other but I thought that might conflict with normals and issues like back face culling.

great news, there's no back face culling here. I believe all materials are 2-sided.
    For offsetting, that's a bit difficult because if you modeled something solid, that probably won't work because the whole thing would shrink. I've thought of this for 3dsMax as well. The only good way to do it is to model it. BUT it's much easier to model in with polygons than NURBS in this case. It's a simple push instead of an offset. So the faces just get pushed in their normal's direction.

If you split the face you need to do that, it probably wouldn't be that hard, but that's probably rare. You might be able to copy your object assign a material to 1, and another to the other one with a solid color displacement map on it. But I've tried that. It takes Way longer than necessary to render, and didn't often work. But give it a go, you never know. I haven't tried it for a couple years.

I would suggest opening up the model in your modeling software, extract the back surface, and offset it there. Then import that new piece and hope you remembered not to move the model pivot inside of bunkspeed. Once you do that, you pretty much have to start over if you get a change.

Great input Andy. In this case, I was dealing with a fabric canopy. As it was only a surface and not a solid the constraints were much easier to work around. I just copied the object and non-p scaled it a bit. The key with that is making sure the object's pivot point is logically placed.

+ Reply to Thread