+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How do I make this look white?

How do I make this look white?

I get that question All the time. And generally I'm pointing toward the environment. But this time I'm looking at bunkspeed. Make a white material out of plastic, and generic, but make that next to chrome. I can do that with a camera, so I should be able to do it in Shot right?

Something seems to have happened to some of the materials in 2014 that makes certain ones much darker than before. So dark, in fact, that I can't get them to be bright enough without blowing out the entire scene. People are asking me how to do this, and I don't have an answer. Well, I have answers, but it's mostly grumblings about the software that no one should actually hear.

So how are You making white? I would love to hear from Bunkspeed on this one, but whoever wants to answer, I'm interested.

Here's a file to play with. I'd love to see all those materials white, other than the metal of course. That one is just for good measure so you can see how much damage you're doing to the lighting if you're messing with those settings.

The scene has a few shapes, with a white-like material applied to them. For good measure, I threw a large white emissive panel (so don't use fast mode) for some added light/reflection. One thing you'll notice that as soon as you make an object reflective, it gets darker, Even if what it's reflecting is not dark. I didn't have a whole lot of time, so some of the walls overlap a little. Just try and overlook that. It's just a test file.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/30098323/White.bif

Same problem here. In the latest 2014 version all the whites has seemed to read as really grey materials. Basically it seemed that the white plastics were accepting the HDR environment differently than the version before.
    I can bump up the brightness of the environment but this would end up making all the non white materials too bright.
    The only white material that seems to work is the "white paint". I can manage to work with this since I can adjust gloss levels and roughness through clearcoat & roughness.
    But any other materials such as soft touch, fabrics, plastics, etc all the whites just won't work as before.

I've also been having problems with white plastic. It seems like no matter how transparent I make the plastic part (even using a "generic" material) the plastic looks very diffuse, not clear like PC material. Anyone else run into this? The only way I have been able to make a clear plastic (like PC) is by using a glass material.

Same... But I've detected an issue with the specular color influence, which looks like inverted (black/white). I will dig into this way at the begining of the year

Yes in fact it's clear: Since 2014 version, SPECULAR and HIGHLIGHT are inverted (black/white). Then, to create a clear/pop/shinny White or Color, you have to put the SPEC or the HIGH to black. It's strange, and to me not very intuitive...

Sorry, you've had a premature conclusion. I almost got excited because that would mean we could actually use Bunkspeed for things that aren't chrome again (we do a lot of white, and colors with materials that aren't metal and are reflective, which seems to be a surprise to some people).

That's not what is reversed. Yes, it Does make your object quite a bit brighter. Because it isn't reflecting anything. The problem is that the reflections are not being treated properly, so are returning dark values. So as the reflectivity goes up, you get back your crisp reflections, but the object gets darker. As it goes down, you get your material color back, but you lose your reflectivity.

People here have been rendering more often and keep asking me how to get white. We've resorted to cutting All the colors in half for brightness, then brightening the scene so white is brighter than 50% grey. Oh, and you have to take most of your saturations down too. Pretty much, you have to mess up your entire scene to get it to look right.

Yes, you're right andy... finally I saw that it was not simply reversed. But the overall behavior is quite strange: it depends on the type of materials and color.

In any case, it isn't so easy, as previously.

For something so basic, it sure is taking a lot of time for anyone from Bunkspeed to respond to this.

Interested to know if anyone already found a more convenient solution than the one Andy suggests, to brighten the scene and adapt all the materials.

+ Reply to Thread