+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How do I apply material to multiple objects at the same time?

How do I apply material to multiple objects at the same time?

Rendering a fine gold link chain which has about 300 links , I can hit ctrl A but is there a way to apply materials at once to all links?

Thanks

Sounds like your links imported as separate parts. To assign a material to all the links you have two options:

Assign the material to all the separate parts if you have already copied the material. With all parts selected you can RMB and "assign material to selection..." or called something like that.

-or-

Merge the parts together. Then all the links will act as one part and the material will be applied as such.
    Last edited by haknslash; 02-10-2014 at 10:00 PM.
    Kenny Wilson
    900D ASUS Maximus VI Extreme 4770k 3x GTX 780 Ti's AX1200i 32GB RAM H100i a lot of SP120 fans
    Bunkspeed Shot Pro 2014

Sure wish you could apply a material to a Group instead of having to merge parts

copy the material
    now go to parts view and select them.
    Right click and it should let you apply from there while mutliple objects are selected.

Thanks Andy!! I did not know that

Yup that's why I said you could do it either way. I find copying the material with the "shift LMB/RMB" hotkeys using Material Selection the fastest method, especially in Preview mode. Much easier anf faster than merging parts in most cases.
    Kenny Wilson
    900D ASUS Maximus VI Extreme 4770k 3x GTX 780 Ti's AX1200i 32GB RAM H100i a lot of SP120 fans
    Bunkspeed Shot Pro 2014

Kenny, don't forget you Have to copy the material first. If you don't copy the material first, the option isn't available. And sometimes if you copy the material, click on a couple other things, and try and paste it, your copy is somehow gone, and you have to copy it again. Bunkspeed is Extremely picky in the order you do things. If you don't do things in the exact order their design for you to do it, even though they don't tell you what that order actually is, then things won't work.
    Another great example of that is configurations. I have never once got those to work for more than a few minutes.

I know hehe. It is quirky in the order you have to do some things. That's why I stated the copying material aspect first. i probably should of worded my post differently so it's not as confusing

The configurations took me some time too. I made the mistake of thinking it knew all along to save everything I assigned when I click the first config. If I assign materials from the get go and then create a new config to assign more materials I will lose everything I did prior to creating that config (doh!). Or at least that's been my case lol. If I want to use configs the very first thing I do is create a new config before assigning any materials. When I'm ready to try a different look I create another new config and then I can assign materials to it. Then I'm able to flip back and forth between the configs no problem. It's like you need to know upfront in the workflow if you intend to use configurations with the project or you could lose some work if you don't do the steps right when creating a config. It would be nice if Bunkspeed retained everything you did so that when you click config for the first time it's actually creating configuration #2 and not config #1. Or maybe mine is just messed up
    Last edited by haknslash; 02-11-2014 at 03:15 PM.
    Kenny Wilson
    Bunkspeed Shot Pro 2014

Andy-
    Quirky software which will not allow me to either copy or assign the material is fast becoming a major issue!
    Are there any other work arounds?
    Sometimes I'm unable to copy a material from the Materials Mode, but have to save the material to a Library, then, go back into the Library to copy it, . . . And then, oftentimes, the previous material choice appears to be locked in and won't accept the new material choice, or the "assign material" is grayed out and will not allow an assignment, . . .
    Thanks-
    -Dale

+ Reply to Thread