+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Titan Z announced.

Hybrid View

Titan Z announced.

$3K -5760 cuda cores -12GB VRAM

It's a little out of my price range but pretty damn cool. The price per core is relatively high compared to the lower end cards but would allow you to stuff a ton of cuda cores in a single box. I would love to stuff my quad gpu rig with these and have over 23,000 cuda cores. I will just have to keep dreaming.

http://www.engadget.com/2014/03/25/nvidia-titan-z-gpu/

Nice. But in fact, for this price you have 3 Titan Black Edition with the same "scene size memory" (6Gb) and more than 1.5 times the speed :/
    $2K would be interesting, 3K, not.

Yea I was thinking dual GPU cards only give you half of their rated VRAM for scenes. i'm not familiar with them so...

$3k is steep. I'm with Aselert as I'd rather use that money on 3 T-Black's, as speed is more important to me than available scene memory since I don't use a gazillion textures or run 4k monitors.

Hell if I got 3K to throw down on a single card then I'd probably have 50k laying around to buy an NVidia iRay VCA
    Last edited by haknslash; 03-27-2014 at 04:35 PM.
    Kenny Wilson
    900D ASUS Maximus VI Extreme 4770k 3x GTX 780 Ti's AX1200i 32GB RAM H100i a lot of SP120 fans
    Bunkspeed Shot Pro 2014

Yea I was thinking dual GPU cards only give you half of their rated VRAM for scenes. i'm not familiar with them so...
    In fact it's very simple: the "real" size of VRAM available is the total VRAM/GPU chips number.
    So for Titan it's 6Gb/1chip = 6Gb and GTX690 4Gb/2chips = 2Gb, by example.
    But all of this will normally -I hope!- ended with the Maxwell or Pascal architecture, where the RAM and VRAM will be unified

Yes Pascal has me very interested. It's the largest leap forward and I hope it opens up a whole new world for GPU's.
    Kenny Wilson
    900D ASUS Maximus VI Extreme 4770k 3x GTX 780 Ti's AX1200i 32GB RAM H100i a lot of SP120 fans
    Bunkspeed Shot Pro 2014

Of course, if your budget for a gpu(s) is 3K or less, there are multiple options that are better than the Titan Z. This is not the card for you. I still think its really interesting for building a relatively poor mans VCA or high end machine. For probably $15K, you could build a pretty nice rig with 4 of these, match the cuda cores in the Iray VCA @ 23,040 and still have 35K left over. There is a huge difference between 15k and 50k, at least in my office. Of course you would have half the usable VRAM, as discussed above. Remember, there is no one best card for every situation. It's all dependent on you budget, goals, etc..

I haven't had time to read up on the new architectures but will have to do that.

Quote Originally Posted by Mar10 View Post
    Of course, if your budget for a gpu(s) is 3K or less, there are multiple options that are better than the Titan Z. This is not the card for you. I still think its really interesting for building a relatively poor mans VCA or high end machine. For probably $15K, you could build a pretty nice rig with 4 of these, match the cuda cores in the Iray VCA @ 23,040 and still have 35K left over. There is a huge difference between 15k and 50k, at least in my office. Of course you would have half the usable VRAM, as discussed above. Remember, there is no one best card for every situation. It's all dependent on you budget, goals, etc..

I haven't had time to read up on the new architectures but will have to do that.
    Next gen GPU technology is stackable memory they dubbed "3D memory". It's pretty interesting where it may take us as they will have 2 to 4 times the memory bandwidth and capacity of current gen GPU's in a 1/3 of the size. It looks like a cute bedazzled SSD .

Last edited by haknslash; 03-31-2014 at 02:50 AM.
    Kenny Wilson
    Bunkspeed Shot Pro 2014

+ Reply to Thread