+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Solidworks 2014 File Import ~ Here's The Fix !

Awesome ! Thanks for that.

Wait what!!? David is this really true the Solidworks plugins on the Plugins page are up to date and will work?

This does NOT work for 2014 Solidworks only previous versions. That is disappointing especially since we are at SP 3.0 Now. I have to spet my files structures out and open in 2013 to get it to work. Please advise?

Works flawlessly for me with 2014 SP3. I am directly importing SW 2014 SP3 part and assembly files. I do it every day.

The plugins available here: https://www.bunkspeed.com/community/plugins

Are all up to date a current and support our 2014 versions.

thanks
    David Randle / General Manager / Bunkspeed

The Bunkspeed SW plugin addresses the issue of importing the model but does not address the second big issue of keeping the correct material breakups. Using the BS plugin results in a basic model being split into thousands of surfaces which need to have materials applied individually. In terms of efficiency and workflow, the BS plugin for SW isn't a usable solution.

Mar10 -

it sounds like at some point, you selected "Retain Structure" as the grouping method for Bunkspeed. This would have become the default for any further imports. To fix this, launch your Bunkspeed product standalone (do not use the plugin), then import a solidworks model. In the import dialog, change the grouping setting to "Automatic". Let the file import, then close your Bunkspeed session. From now on, when you import a solidworks file or if you use the plugin, it will import by material breakup and this should fix your many part problem.

Hope this helps

One of my associates will soon use SW to animate technical parts together and I ask me if Bunkspeed is able to maintain the SW animation and therefore to render it (?).
    Because we are using Rhino to modelling, and then animating the parts in PRO. But it has its limits... And I'm a newbie user of SW!

Thank you for your reply!

solidworks part grouping issue

Quote Originally Posted by david.randle View Post
    Mar10 -

it sounds like at some point, you selected "Retain Structure" as the grouping method for Bunkspeed. This would have become the default for any further imports. To fix this, launch your Bunkspeed product standalone (do not use the plugin), then import a solidworks model. In the import dialog, change the grouping setting to "Automatic". Let the file import, then close your Bunkspeed session. From now on, when you import a solidworks file or if you use the plugin, it will import by material breakup and this should fix your many part problem.

Hope this helps
    David,

I'm getting the "thousands of surfaces" part grouping issue when importing Solidworks 2014 assemblies too.
    Only, to make matters more complicated, I can ONLY import into BS using the plugin (which generates a thousand surfaces.)
    I cannot import any solidworks part/assemblies by dragging them, or click import....etc......it always says "no geometry...."
    Any ideas? I have reinstalled, updated, patched before.....
    Anybody else having this issue?

we are running:
    BS 2012.6
    SW 2014 x64 sp2
    Windows 7 x64

Russ - your import grouping setting might be set to "Retain Structure" by accident. How to fix:

Open your Bunkspeed product.
    Drag and drop or file > import a SolidWorks file.
    When the import dialog pops up, STOP and double check that the Grouping dropdown is set to Automatic.
    You can either let the file import, then close Bunkspeed or cancel the import.

from now on, when you use the plugin, it will default to Automatic part grouping which will group based on how you've assigned colors in SolidWorks.

We hope this helps

+ Reply to Thread