+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Some quick Caustics tests with ZOOM

Some quick Caustics tests with ZOOM

Following on from the previous thread, I thought I'd do some quick caustics tests with Zoom, which has the caustics option available in the render panel.

I wasn't trying to make these images look exactly the same, I just wanted to see if caustics would appear using the four different lighting types available in Zoom, namely HDRI, physical lights, Sun/ Sky and emissives.

As you can see the caustics work with all lighting types. The caustics that appear from using an emissive are less pronounced than the other methods in my tests, but that's simply because the lighting wasn't optimised, if I'd spent a bit more time adjusting the lighting I could have gotten a better result.

Each image was rendered at 800x533 for 500 passes and they all took approx. 10 mins, with the exception of the emissive render which took about 9 mins. Without the caustics enabled the renders would have taken around 7.5 mins.

Caustics_EMISSIVE.jpgCaustics_SUNSKY.jpgCaustics_HDRI.jpgCaustics_SPOT.jpg

Very interesting render tests John, thank you very much! The Sun/sky give an incredible caustics realism!

Glad you found them useful Aselert. I have to say I was very impressed with the caustics from iRay. Up to now the best caustics I've seen were with Maxwell Render, but iRay easily matches Maxwell now plus you don't have to wait forever for the render to clear as you do with Maxwell.

+ Reply to Thread