+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hardware advice

Hardware advice

Hello All

I'd like some insight into some hardware advice I've been looking to get a new mobile workstation and was wondering what would be the ideal configuration to produce high quality automotive renders (exterior and interior) quickly.

My options for graphics cards: (please keep in mind that these are mobile cards)

NVIDIA GTX 980M, NVIDIA GTX 980M SLI or NVIDIA QUADRO K3100M
    I know that the 980 has a newer Maxwell architecture, would this be beneficial and how does Bunkspeed handle SLI (I read that it limits it to the lowest VRAM but what about rendering cores, would it use both cards?)

Should I focus more on the CPU power over GPU power considering ray-tracing is handled by CPU?

I am currently running a Geforce GT750M 2GB GDDR5 with an i7 Quad 2.3 GHz base clock, renders take quite a while on this configuration and so does manipulating the scene in Accurate mode, in fast mode manipulation is snappy. Is viewport live render handed mostly by CPU or GPU, the reason I ask is to judge weather to invest more in getting an extreme edition CPU or a better GPU.

Thanks on any tips!

GPU have the major importance, CPU minor. The VRAM is one of the main thing to look if you want to work around strong scenes without stress.
    Bunkspeed does not support SLI BUT multiple GPUs yes
    Maxwell isn't supported yet but it will be soon I think. So if you are patient, I would recommend to you, in near future, 2x GTX980M option

Hello

Thanks for your reply! Just a quick question, you mentioned Bunkspeed does not support SLI but supports 2 GPUS, how does this work in Bunkspeed? I was thinking of getting a laptop with 2 980M with 8GB each so how would this VRAM be distributed? Would it be one GPU for rendering while the other stays free to use manipulating the scene?

Thanks

In your case, both GPU's would be used for rendering at 8GB maximum VRAM capacity for the project. However, Maxwell isn't currently supported for Bunkspeed.

Thanks! I think I will hold off on buying the PC until intel's Skylake processors are out which will be hopefully around late 2015 so I think Maxwell should be sorted by then.

Also just to be sure, why are the GTX980 cards better in Bunkspeed even though the Quadros are the ones that are officially supported? I get that the Quadros are workstation cards but is the performance increase from the K3100 to one of the better currently supported Keppler Geforce GPUs (titan/780 ti) very different?

There are more cores on the gaming cards than the Quadros.

Awesome, Thanks again!

+ Reply to Thread