+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Decal Opacity and Reflectivity Control

Decal Opacity and Reflectivity Control

Hey guys..I've been working a lot with decals recently.

I've been applying decals in reflective materials, such as metal. Now, decals decals have reflective properties of their own (completely matte), they don't take up those of the material they are applied on. Which means you can't get a reflective decal. What you can have though, is an 80% opacity decal that lets some of the underlying metal pass through..giving you some reflection. As you can probably imagine, opacity adjustment of 20 plus decals is a tedious process.

I ended up splitting the geometry in my 3D modelling software and applying real materials to those partitions. The shame was I couldn't move those partitions as I would a decal.

Which brings me to my idea: Opacity and Reflectivity controls for decals. It would allow us to mantain the flexibility of the decal ("on the fly" adjustments of position and size) WITH the properties of a basic material.

What do you guys think about this? Plausible?

Cheers,

John.
    chinogam.

You can apply materials to decals, just drag and drop the material you want onto the decal, the same as you would a part of your model.
    If the decal is on a metal object then just apply a metal material to the decal and adjust it to match the metal surface beneath.

And of course you can move the decal where ever you want and it will keep the metal appearance.

My god. I feel both stupid and psyched. Awesome.

Thanks man
    chinogam.

Thanks for answering JohnG - Indeed, as John says controlling the material of a decal is possible. A tip: in order to maintain the color on a decal texture, choose white or light colors as the material which you will be applying onto the decal. We don't have a transparency slider for decals but that can be controlled by loading a solid opacity map onto the alpha channel for the material which you are applying to the decal. So, everything you asked for is already available in one shape or form :-)
    David Randle / General Manager / Bunkspeed

Thanks for the hint David. I'm using it right now and it works like a charm!
    chinogam.

+ Reply to Thread