+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Round Dots Mapped to Cylindrical Surface?

Round Dots Mapped to Cylindrical Surface?

Hi All,

I am using an image map of small dots and trying to map them onto a cylindrical shape. The problem is that when I map them the dots get stretched one way or another and are no longer perfectly round. I've tried several of the texture mapping modes, but none seem to produce perfectly round mapped dots (see image below). Is there a way to do this?

dots.jpg

It's an UV surface native CAD issue.
    Your cylinder look split in 4 parts (quarters), right? In your CAD software, before import, you have to work around a pure shape cylinder.
    Let me know if you a problem, send me your object, I can help you

make sure you're using cylindrical mapping and that the mapping utility (The ghosted cylinder when you click on Manipulate Texture) is aligned with the cylinder. With Cylindrical mapping, your UV relationship will always be not 1:1 so you'll need to either adjust the U or V depending until the pattern looks as expected under the tiling parameter for the texture. see this screenshot which should capture all this in one image:
    Cylindrical texturing.jpg
    Last edited by david.randle; 02-04-2015 at 08:37 PM.
    David Randle / General Manager / Bunkspeed

I can't figure out why it is making the image i'm uploading so small but the important thing to know is that my UV tiling on this example was U: 6 and V: 1 (Make sure to click the lock icon on the right of the tiling parameter to unlock the ratio before entering a non uniform ratio)
    David Randle / General Manager / Bunkspeed

When mapping cylindrical objects, keep in mind that if you want a 1:1 aspect ratio appearance wrapped around a cylinder, the width of the texture image is a ratio of 2*pi*radius (or pi*diameter) by height. For example, if your cylinder is 1 inch in radius by 2 inches high, your bitmap should be at an aspect ratio of 6.28:2 or 3.14:1. In this example, lets say you wanted a 1000 pixel high bitmap, your width would be 3,142 pixels (pi times 1,000 pixels). And make sure you are using cylindrical mapping. The alternative would be to tile a bitmap in the U coordinate according to this ratio, but you could end up with a seam.

Your aspect ratio is dependent on your height and radius.
    Last edited by blitz; 02-05-2015 at 01:28 AM.

Hi All,

Thanks so much for the responses. It was the ratio, as was suggested. Once I stretched the cylinder's height the dots appeared correctly as circles. Thanks!

+ Reply to Thread