+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Still no Caustics.

Still no Caustics.

I just updated to the latest version of Shot, 2014.6, and there are still no caustics.
    Any idea when caustics will return?

Caustics are there for offline rendering only. (In the render dialog - Advanced Caustics) We are evaluating whether the realtime performance of caustics has increased with iray 2015 before making a decision to enable them in realtime again.
    David Randle / General Manager / Bunkspeed

There doesn't seem to be any Caustics in the render options in Shot. Is it some where else?

render_settings.jpg

It should be there and i can verify that its not in Pro either. I'll find out what's going on.

Quote Originally Posted by david.randle View Post
    It should be there and i can verify that its not in Pro either. I'll find out what's going on.
    David its been over four months since you said you'll find out what's going on with caustics, any news?

The complete lack of any kind of caustics even simple reflective caustics makes Bunkspeed software almost useless for product renderings, at least for me. Perhaps other users aren't too worried about the lack of caustics or perhaps they are unaware until they notice problems with their renders.

If you've decided to remove caustics from your cheaper products, Shot and Pro and only include them as some sort of advanced feature in Zoom to justify its price tag, then you should say so. Also you should update the features list of Shot and Pro on your website to remove any mention of caustics, as this is misleading to potential customers.

If you do intend to restore caustics then why is it taking so long?

John, I know you've have posted in my other thread http://forum.bunkspeed.com/showthrea...anel-in-2014.5. For me, the only solution at the time was to upgrade to Zoom, or whatever it's called. Thankfully I'm on maintenance so it was a free update IIRC.

It's been months and honestly I don't think they are going to add this back to Pro. I have since then moved on to another renderer that seems to be maintained and updated more often. I loved BS back in the day but development and communication seems to all but stopped completely since the acquisition.
    Last edited by haknslash; 07-23-2015 at 08:28 PM.
    Kenny Wilson
    900D ASUS Maximus VI Extreme 4770k 3x GTX 780 Ti's AX1200i 32GB RAM H100i a lot of SP120 fans
    Bunkspeed Shot Pro 2014

I too am using another render engine. I still have BS Pro 2012 which has caustics tho.

I think you're right Kenny, and even if they do decide to put them back its been too long a wait. Also I don't see why I should have to upgrade to a much more expensive product, caustics are a basic feature of any good renderer we shouldn't have to pay extra.

Also, tell me this, why does it take so long for the General Manager of Bunkspeed (Mr. Randle) to find out some basic facts about his own products?

Although to be honest I've given up caring, like yourself and Blitz I've switched to another renderer. I just thought I'd ask one more time before abandoning Bunkspeed altogether.

I wish i could explain to all of you publicly what has been happening for the past 18 months but i can't yet. What may have seemed to be a basic issue from the outsite (caustic checkbox accidentally being tied to the wrong license type) was just one of many details that got tangled during our acquisition. We understand your frustrations and your requirement to be productive so entertaining other tools doesn't offend us. I will say that it is in our best interested to take care of every one of our customers favorably once everything is back online and that in due time, the trust you placed in us will be reciprocated.

To answer you question about Caustics more specifically, if you contact support, we will be happy to provide you an older version with the functionality enabled in the interim. This should have been offered initially and for that, i apologize.

+ Reply to Thread