+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: mixer

mixer

Hi there,

this is my first post here and one of my first renders in Bunkspeed. C&C are welcome...
    I like Bunkspeed a lot so far. But there are some things I do net understand. Are there no area Lights for example? Is it possible to turn off visibility for the camera and some more questions.
    And it could be a little bit more stable.

Cheers
    Polanski
    Attached Images

Polanski - Interesting design. I think the metal material textures are a bit too exaggerated, I would scale them back 75% (my opinion of course). The water is a pretty cool feature for the image. Did you model the water or is it a post-render feature? I have had very few instability problems with Shot however I also would expect that different users mileage will vary.
    Kustom Machine: i7-4770/Dual GTX760 2G/16GB RAM - Win7 Pro x64
    Dell Precision 490/Dual Xeon X5355/GTX 650 2G/16GB RAM - Win7 Pro x64
    Bunkspeed Shot/Pro 2014.2.7.3370

Hi Wheeldude
    The water is a Real Flow mesh. Imported to Cinema and exported as fbx. Im not happy about the water Material. Looks quite Odd. Maybe Glas Works better?? I have no experience in that
    Polanski

The water would look better using just solid glass set to ior of 1.2 in your case. This is always a rule of thumb if the water is real geometry. Our "liquid" materials are designed to substitute geometric liquid. (more or less).

Cool design btw...
    David Randle / General Manager / Bunkspeed

I thought the liquid materials were more for things like water in a pool, where you probably didn't model thickness. Anyway, you'll get better results with a material with solid checked.

For area lights, just create a plane and assign a self illuminating material. Instant area light...well, object light anyway. I agree about stability, but that really depends on the system. I still think they could benefit from a model similar to Avid use to use. You buy our software? You buy our box!
    Of course, then it would cost a pretty penny for sure.

Visibility to camera? Yup, select a object and look at the panel on the right. I think they call it "faded?" (save first! If you're having stability problems then this option will most likely crash on occasion).

Quote Originally Posted by andy View Post
    I still think they could benefit from a model similar to Avid use to use. You buy our software? You buy our box!
    Of course, then it would cost a pretty penny for sure.
    No no no, this is not he way to go! The first computer I bought was a Dicomed Imaginator workstation (google it) for high end retouching. I worked originally as an advertising photographer and then moved into retouching. My system was custom built and hand delivered, with two days on site training included, and it worked perfectly. But it did indeed cost a pretty penny, as I recall the technician who delivered and installed it spent two days at the Hilton at my expense, he chose the hotel!
    The system came with a hardlock/dongle which had to be plugged in for the system to work, the dongle alone cost approx 3000 euros in today's prices. I still have the dongle, but its completely worthless now.

This sort of business model is antiquated and while it has certain advantages it would only appeal to a very few.

Unfortunately Shot/Move still has some stability issues, it still feels like a Beta version, if you push it too hard it will crash. I would certainly recommend saving often, although the faded option has never caused a crash for me.

I run Pro on a dell box which is standard save for the nVidia display card. If they software tied you to buying a workstation as well, I think it would be terrible. As it stands I have had few crashes, and what I have encountered seemed to be when I was treading the line in terms of my modest systems capacity. I hadn't been given the latest updates though, so perhaps things will be changed, but so far stability has been pretty impressive for me.

I would agree about the material being a little exaggerated, but pretty cool all in all :-)

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by JohnG View Post
    This sort of business model is antiquated and while it has certain advantages it would only appeal to a very few.
    I suppose Apple users could be call "very few" compared to MSoft users.

Joking asside, that's pretty much their business model. I was thinking something closer to that. Or maybe if Bunkspeed just specified and supported certain machines to help eliminate hardware issues? I'm sure they could figure out a cost involved in supporting machines that weren't theirs. I don't think they have any interest in it. Plus, iRay in bunkspeed seems to be getting more stable, on other front ends as well.

Hopefully the next gen video cards coming out in the next months don't add more stability issues, but rather fix some of them.

I did some renders with the "white wine" mat. Tweaked the color and now it looks better. What do you thik? You are right about the bump. Its too much. It was the first "scrach" picture that google offered me and no retouching done at all on that. Area lights = polygon lights...ok, that should do. Concerning stability: Im a mac user but bought a pc recently. Maybe Im a little bit spoilt.... ;-) When I render an image in GPU mode my computer is sooooo slow. Impossible to write an email or something like that. In CPU mode its much better. I thought the benefit of a big graphic card (Quadro FX 4000 & Tesla in my case) is that you can render AND work on ohter things at the same time.... hmmmm
    Attached Images
    Last edited by Polanski; 01-26-2012 at 10:58 AM.

no, that's about right. It'll use 100% of resources when it can.
    Hopefully they add the ability to free up 1 thread or something later on. iRay is capable of doing that, and it's handy for people who might be rendering on their own workstation. Now, I don't think you can add/remove threads in the middle of a rendering though.

+ Reply to Thread