+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: mixer

Polanski -

In that system if you have a Maximus certified driver, then i can tell you the environment variable to set so that rendering only happens on the tesla and leaves the 4000 to let you do other stuff on the machine. If you don't need to multitask, then you can always turn this environment variable off and use the power of both cards again. Since this isn't exposed in the ui, please email me and i'll share. david@bunkspeed.com
    David Randle / General Manager / Bunkspeed

Quote Originally Posted by andy View Post
    no, that's about right. It'll use 100% of resources when it can.
    Hopefully they add the ability to free up 1 thread or something later on. iRay is capable of doing that, and it's handy for people who might be rendering on their own workstation. Now, I don't think you can add/remove threads in the middle of a rendering though.
    You can accomplish this but it’s not exactly straight forward.

Once you start your render. Right click on the Windows taskbar and open the Task Manager. On the Processes tab, right click on the process “OfflineRenderer.exe” and choose Set Affinity. In that dialog box, uncheck the number of processers you want to free up and hit OK. You can also do the same for the Bunkspeed program if desired. Unfortunately, you have to do this every time you render.

I do this occasionally when I’m rendering a large or complex image and still need to keep working on other stuff. It’s worked pretty well so far. I can even use a 3D CAD program if I free up 2 processors.

Thanks,
    Neil

Hey Neil,

thanks! a really good tip!
    James Lovell

Bunkspeed: Shot 2012.6.0.10
    Autodesk: AutoCAD 2014 : Inventor Professional 2014 : 3DS Max 2014 : Showcase 2014 : Mudbox 2014
    Adobe: Creative Cloud CC

Dell T5600 - 8(16)-Core Xeon E5-2687W - 16GB ECC RAM (Hyper-threading Enabled)
    Windows 7 Professional SP1
    Nvidia Quadro 4000 2GB RAM (320.00 Driver)

Quote Originally Posted by nmenne View Post
    You can accomplish this but it’s not exactly straight forward.

Once you start your render. Right click on the Windows taskbar and open the Task Manager. On the Processes tab, right click on the process “OfflineRenderer.exe” and choose Set Affinity. In that dialog box, uncheck the number of processers you want to free up and hit OK. You can also do the same for the Bunkspeed program if desired. Unfortunately, you have to do this every time you render.
    Unfortunately, this is only partially correct, and also not stable on all systems so beware of that as well.
    In Bunkspeed, when referring to processes, you are talking about processes of the GPU and possibly the CPU. Your method only disables the CPU. Windows by itself has no control over the GPU in that same manner.

If your scene is taking up the majority of your GPU, it won't matter if you free up your CPU. The GPU will still have a difficult time redrawing your screen. So don't be surprised if this tip doesn't work for you. It may only work if you are only rendering in CPU mode. And then be prepared for much longer render times.

Thats a really neat rendering. Did you use an environment to render? Which environment did you use?

Hi Sach,

its a standard environment. I think the blurred car studio. And a plane with an emissive material on it on the right side. The light is warm and you can see the reflection on the right side of the object.

polanski

+ Reply to Thread