+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Some architectural concept designs

Some architectural concept designs

Here some architectural concept designs.

Great examples! thanks so much for sharing. I specifically like your use of mood in each of your images. Out of curiosity, how much time to you spend in post per image? What would be a key thing we could offer that would help reduce repetitive tasks?
    David Randle / General Manager / Bunkspeed

Hmm.. Good question. Some of the images are quick and dirty, some I spent more time. The issue with architectural images is that you always need people in the image (foreground and background) and work on the background image since this is always contextual. For cars or products one can do amazing stuff with a fairly abstract background and no people at all. That means I always render with transparent background because it is more easy to exchange and adjust in photoshop and also place plants and people there. For the spiral library (the concrete ribs pavilion with the green ceiling), I spent may be 5h on photoshop.

Since I work in Rhino, apart from the design itself, some work for rendering goes in preparing the file.
    1. I need to prepare all layers/materials properly to be able to assign materials individually otherwise I can not do proper texture mapping. So far I found import by layer/material the best way to do.
    2. I need to do the meshing individually for certain parts in Rhino. Especially for the surfaces receiving a displacement map. Also the import is then more stable
    3. I could not find a way yet to get my cameras imported, which is a pity, because sometimes I would like to overlay a line drawing produced in Rhino and thus would need exactly the same camera settings
    4. For architecture I also should use bigger texture maps because of larger surfaces as such and thus tiling issue. You can see it at the spiral library. The concrete texture should have been a bit smaller/finer but then tiling would appear.

Great feedback and thank you for sharing. That's all good food for thought.

great renders

Fantastic renders - god I wish I could photoshop !!
    I gotta agree with point 1. - assigning correct layers/ materials in Rhino to then transfer into Bunkspeed is a big job especially if you have a whole lot of parts that are the same material you end up grouping them as 1 layer just to save time in Bunkspeed assigning materials but..... if you want to pull a part out of that group to have a different material property I need to delete the whole material/ part group , divide off what i want back in Rhino and then re-import as a different model within the project etc which can be an issue if using autosize .
    It seems you cant separate a part off a grouped material or can you and i'm just thick ??

@nic1 - We do have a feature that lets you split geometry. It's called the part splitter/extractor and can be found in the right click context menu when you right click on a part with the Part selection tool active. (that's the purple cube in the toolbar at the top of the viewport). It is extremely useful

Quote Originally Posted by david.randle View Post
    @nic1 - We do have a feature that lets you split geometry. It's called the part splitter/extractor and can be found in the right click context menu when you right click on a part with the Part selection tool active. (that's the purple cube in the toolbar at the top of the viewport). It is extremely useful
    I find it more of an emergency feature because at least to my experience lets you only split up mesh enteties/faces and takes quite long to get something out of a part. This becomes easily a klickfest. It is better to erase the original part and reimport with refined material/layer asignement into several new parts.

+ Reply to Thread