+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: GTX 680 pre-orders already

I'm really anxious to see how well GTX 680 handles CUDA for rendering in iray.
    In all the reviews I've read so far it comes off as a truly spectacular gaming card. But when GPGPU applications are being thrown at it, performance pretty much plummets. Even below GTX 580 levels on several occasions (mostly OpenCL though, don't know yet how these figures relate to CUDA performance).
    It's great with games, but advancements on the GPGPU area seem very slim compared to Fermi.
    I hope it is a driver issue. Although I've read here and there that Nvidia wishes to push Quadro and Tesla stuff for compute and that it has artificially crippled GPGPU capabilities on there new baby...

Compute: What You Leave Behind?
    Last edited by dries.vervoort; 03-23-2012 at 11:57 AM.

Andy - Wow; if benchmarks claim that this card will be 3 times faster in Move rendering, I will wait till late May to get them in dual configuration hopefully with 8GB of RAM. If itís true what you claim 2 of those monsters would give 12 times speed increase compare to my GTX580!!!! I could render movies overnight; shock. Anyway I will wait for an official benchmark on Bunkspeed website.

I confess to having the same worries as dries.vervoort: if the GTX680 promises 3x more performance than the GTX580 (plus with 4gb) there is no more reason (besides management Open CL) to be interested to Quadro that cost an eye... Nvidia should want to keep their differences between professional and gamer cards.
    But in another hand, the Quadro will enjoy the same advanced and will remain at the top with may be 8 or 12 Gb of memory onboard.

I hear rumors they might be crippling OpenGL on the gamer cards via software. Emphasis on rumor, but it wouldn't surprise me. If that's true, I hope some of the driver hackers get their skills ready. We've seen this sort of behavior before.

But Bunkspeed is working with DirectX for computing no? Or I'm wrong?

so you wouldn't lose quite as much as your saying.

We use no opengl. hooray!
    David Randle / General Manager / Bunkspeed

+ Reply to Thread