+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Don't buy that new GTX 680 just yet

I have dual GTX 570s on my machine and it gets nearly double the speed of the machine I have with a single one on certain scenes, but not all.
    no SLI. SLI does nothing but give you a headache when it comes to business.

thanks for the info! just received a machine with dual Xeon and dual 590 cards and one with single i7 and dual 680's on the way!
    what's the best way to benchmark them? I want to compare with the Dell workstations we have.

Thanks,

James

Don't get the 680's yet!!!! (iray isn't optimized for the new Keplar chip yet)

Other than that, check this thread regarding benchmarks: http://forum.bunkspeed.com/showthrea...ight=benchmark
    David Randle / General Manager / Bunkspeed

Not having that much understanding of how the software and the Cuda cores work together and how iray works, this might be a silly question. Hopefully you will humor me with an answer.

Most of the posts reference comparisons to the 580. I had 2x 570's in my system, but have pulled one because it was having issues. My question is, per the iray blog post, will Move even run in gpu mode with these 680's? The 680 is clearly better than both 570's together for specs (let alone the single one i'm down to). Even a 680 at half of it's specs would be better than a single 570, but is the iray issue something that will cause it to not work at all that I should replace it with a 570 or 580 for now?

Thanks,
    Jon

You are correct. We can confirm as of today after testing on the new 680's that iray will simply not run in GPU mode yet. If you must upgrade right now, your best option is to go with a 580. Make sure you get a 3GB version not a 1.5 gb version.

Bummer David! bummer! will it be recoded/modified to work at a later stage??

Thanks for the answer David. This is just a temporary thing until iray gets recompiled, correct? I can probably make do for a while on the single card if we can expect to see this resolved within the next month or so.

Yes, that is what we are being told, however, i won't believe it until i see it...

So if is Iray recompiled... I imagine for Bunkspeed the same... Rendering with Kepler's cards will be operational this summer?

Yes..Kepler rendering is coming. Most likely it will be Siggraph which is early August before we get full benefit of Kepler hardware, but it could be sooner. I can say there are other cool things in the pipe too!

+ Reply to Thread