+ Reply to Thread

Thread: import multiple files As multiple objects

import multiple files As multiple objects

I can see the advantage of not doing that, but also doing that. I can't Split my parts (I've never gotten that to work) but it's easy to merge a model. So would it make sense that if I import 3 models at once, to keep them as 3 models inside shot instead of merging them all to one? I could still merge them if I wanted, but otherwise it allows me to keep them apart as I intended.
    It's Ctrl+I, select file, import, Ctrl+I, select file, import, Ctrl+I, select file, import, Ctrl+I, select file, import,etc..... for me
    Wow, that gets old. I'd rather do it once, go get a coffee, come back and it's ready to go.

Oh, and remember my settings please. I forgot, I have to also uncheck cameras, materials, and auto-size Every time.
    If I didn't autosize the First one from my file why would I want the next one? Does anyone like all of their parts to be a different scale? I know I don't.

I'd like the import settings to be saved, as well. I always uncheck camera, materials, and drag the tessellation up to its highest level.

Remembering the import dialog settings is on our list. As far as multiple files as multiple objects, i'll add that to the list.
    David Randle / General Manager / Bunkspeed

Thanks. It's easy enough to merge files. Splitting files is MUCH slower. It's slow enough in fact, if you are doing more than a few parts it's faster to export to something else, edit what you need, and import it again.

I always import from Rhino3D (have never gotten the plug-in to work!) my dream is to simply import the Rhino file and have all the solids separated into models or parts in a model (selectable option), with surfaces that are not solids into their own model. Today I have to first ensure they are assigned separate materials or different layers in Rhino (and make sure to delete hidden objects, so they don't get imported, because 'ignore hidden' doesn't work in the import dialog!) before I can import them into Move....none of the 'part grouping' options give useful results or make much sense to me, so I just use default.

I feel extracting/splitting a part or collection of parts into a separate model, from an existing model should be as simple as just selecting the parts in the list and RMB>'extract'. If you only want some of the facets from a part the existing tool may be fine, but I'm hart put to think of a situation where it makes sense to me....I'm doing ID work.

I would advise against using the plugin anyway. Last time I got it to work it didn't allow you to change any settings on import, which is faster, but checks all the defaults. That means, all of the materials you don't want (which if left by default will be matte black) and it checks the autosize box making it impossible to replace parts later.
    Since it only takes an extra few seconds to save the file and import it I would just do that.

Oh, and on your wish? Granted
    select all of your objects. Hit F3, change material to basic. Save. Import
    This causes each of your objects to be separated.

Yes, it seems counterintuitive, but it works. Oh, and you May have to import materials for that to work. I'm not sure.

I think being able to split objects that aren't touching should also be easier, and less buggy. Every time I try and do that I end up crashing at least once. On the project I'm working on now i realized I needed to move one part that was all the same material, and had to split it.

For textured materials it rarely makes sense to keep them together either. It's pretty hard to get a working UVmap going for parts that are rotated this way and that. You have to do them one at a time. I always do them in rhino first. It ends up being way faster because you have precise control instead of visually guessing.

+ Reply to Thread