+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: ground reflection, transparency

ground reflection, transparency

Is it just me, or did the ground reflection use to be included in the alpha channel? Because now it's 100% transparent.

That's fine for me if I'm compositing, but it's not so easy to translate modes from photoshop to illustrator. If you render reflection over black and change it's mode to screen it looks right. BUT, that doesn't work from photoshop to illustrator, where we are printing and where the background is.

Anyone know of a good way to get the ground reflection alpha back? Or a trick to get it to be transparent in photoshop without using modes so I can save it as a PNG with transparency for other applications?

Right now I'm rendering it on black, selecting RGB and duplicating that. It doesn't Quite work, but it's decent. I'm contemplating just flipping all of my objects on zero and rendering That so it's a crisp reflection to start with. That surprisingly also renders faster. I guess that's not surprising actually. That's cutting out another ray bounce.

I'd like to know how you are getting an alpha period?? Every time I tick on the alpha channel it's just a blank image?

@ Jay - Well that's not right?!?! We use output with Alpha all the time (so do a lot of customer with seeming no known issue of the sort). You are attempting to output a tiff or png correct? Those are the only formats we support that can include alpha.
    David Randle / General Manager / Bunkspeed

Hi there.
    i also want to have the object, shadow & reflection seperated from the background (which is just plain black, otherwise you dont see the reflection).
    at the moment, the reflection is just gone when "alpha" is activated...

i want object, shadow and reflection in one layer or all seperate. that doesent matter for me, but would be cool if you can have a layer for each :-)

does anyone know how to get it done? ... i am using Bunkspeed Pro, actual version.

Hello again.

no solutions to get alpha-channel for reflection? Its also okay, if its with the product together.

best regards, Jan

Hi - There isn't yet a way to get the ground reflection as a pass but will consider adding this to our list. Thank you

Hi

Some interesting comments about alpha. I am using Shot. If I output in TIFF with the alpha box ticked I get a rendering with the background removed. The background, be it a plate, hdr or colour is missing except for a ghosting picked up in shadows etc. In the rendering window the backgrond is blacked out. In Photoshop it shows as transparent and there is no Alpha channel. I can fairly easily work around it but this isn't how it is supposed to work, is it?

thanks david. okay then i have to render twice.

when i am rendering something with shadow and Alpha, i use a black background. then you can easily put every background-image behind the rendering in Photoshop.
    just the reflection in the ground gets deleted.
    ... i will try again with big shadows, maybe i can see the reflection in the shadow^^

Ok, good thoughts jbdesign.

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bebop View Post
    Hi

Some interesting comments about alpha. I am using Shot. If I output in TIFF with the alpha box ticked I get a rendering with the background removed. The background, be it a plate, hdr or colour is missing except for a ghosting picked up in shadows etc. In the rendering window the backgrond is blacked out. In Photoshop it shows as transparent and there is no Alpha channel. I can fairly easily work around it but this isn't how it is supposed to work, is it?
    Yes it is, at least according to Adobe. The tiff file format specifications states that the alpha should be read as transparency, Adobe own the tiff file format.
    You can clear the transparency from the background by going to the Layer menu.

Layer / Layer Mask / From Transparency

Alternatively, Ctrl left click on the layer icon to load the transparency as a a selection then save it to its own channel, before choosing the Layer mask from transparency option.

+ Reply to Thread