+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Texture Mapping Problem

Do the mapping right in your other 3D software. I think that's the only workaround for now.

Well, a more involved one would be to cut that part in half, and split the layer. You could then texture both individually and make sure the seem is where there is no geometry. You'd have to split your texture in two pieces, then tile it twice as well. Since there is a seam problem, I'm guessing that wouldn't quite line up though. But it might be less noticeable.

That's quite a bit of work though. You might just find out how to texture map in your 3D software. It's quite easy in Rhino, and I don't think it's too difficult in ProE as well, although I think you have to export OBJ in order to keep the texture coordinates in ProE. I'm not sure if STEP keeps texture info. I'm not sure though.

Best bet is probably to use the part splitter to cut out the section on the back of the cylinder, and then put a planar projection for its UVs (or just don't texture that part's material). Splitting parts inside the app is pretty painless once you know where to look and what to expect.

Box and planar maps are seamless now (well, planar maps are linear and therefore always seamless), but the other projection methods couldn't get the same treatment for this release. Apologies

(UV mapping in Pro/E)

Itís something Iíve looked into in the past for exporting files for rendering in Alias Design and Esko Visualizer without much success Ėthe Pro/E help file isnít particularly useful and it seems that most of the Pro/E community are happy with screen dumps of their coloured-in assemblies (ooh, pretty!). The few who do render externally and require uv mapping seem to do this in 3DS Max or translate the files through another piece of software first before importing into their renderer of choice. Seems a bit of a waste of time and money!

I can colour specific surfaces in Pro/E and bring the model into Bunkspeed so that these are seen as separate parts, but this doesnít solve the mapping issue Ė the UV coordinates are all over the place, even with a simple hollow cylinder shape, created as either a revolved line or an extruded circle. Iíve found in the past, that the Pro/E exporters can be a bit flaky though!

Thanks for this workaround suggestion Nick - it does exactly what I was looking for. I've attached images of the updated file, showing this solution. I look forward to seeing the seamless cylindrical mapping in release 2012.6
    Attached Images

Keep in mind that solution will work for you if you have a texture that is plain in that section only. If you were doing something that had a pattern throughout, you would see the seams.

I know the guys around here that use ProE do basic texture mapping in ProE. I think it's done in the appearance settings. If you search YouTube I'm sure you'll find a few things. I still think that is the better solution. I tend to only like to use workarounds when the normal method doesn't work.

Quote Originally Posted by Phimy View Post
    I look forward to seeing the seamless cylindrical mapping in release 2012.6
    I'll see what I can do.

Quote Originally Posted by Ventare View Post
    I'll see what I can do.
    Is this only going to be a pro or drive feature?

Lmao

@ blitz - No.
    David Randle / General Manager / Bunkspeed

I was wondering if this ever got fixed. I have a model with cylindrical columns that always seem to map in the center. I thought I saw another post somewhere on this indicating it was an Iray problem.

+ Reply to Thread