+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Emissive/flat material problem (texture washed out after software update)

Question Emissive/flat material problem (texture washed out after software update)

I'm facing a problem in 2012.5 release of bunkspeed move, it was fine till earlier today when i was using the previous version. I want to render a laptop model but the screen texture does not render correct. I'm using emissive material with texture 'blend' ON and emission color white at 1 intensity and it renders all washed out and desaturated. Tried various values of emission intensity but no success . I'm facing same problem with 'flat' material, texture map is rendering more as a grey-flat-blend rather than flat. The same file was working just perfect till before software update.
    Anybody else facing this problem? Any suggestions about making a laptop screen would be highly appreciated
    thanks in advance

The emissive material has definitely changed in 2012.5 it seems to be a lot brighter for the same setting but it gives a cleaner render. I tried rendering some interiors which were lit with emissives and there is quite a noticeable improvement in terms of fireflies/noise etc.
    Also the emissive material now has an opacity map which is something I was going to request, this allows you to create interesting light shapes as well as creating soft edged lights

Bunkspeed handles textures differently now, this was mentioned in the release notes, try darkening it in photoshop reduce the gamma to .45, you could also reduce the colour of the emissive from white this will help to darken the texture. The flat material is just an emissive material with a value of one so it will be affected by the changes too.

Strange John G, because all of mine's (emissive materials) looks darker... The emissive color became more black (?)

Yes exactly, the same happened with me. However if you reset the colour of the emissive to 50.2 the default (what it was before you upgraded) you'll see the emissive is putting out a lot more light for the same intensity setting.
    For some reason the emissive colour in previous projects are being changed to something a lot darker, perhaps to compensate for the fact that the emissives are much brighter.

Yes it's the same for me, in fact. Light looks more progressive too.
    Tks John

Thanks guys! It seems the only work around is to adjust gamma in photoshop before using the texture.
    While the opacity map in emissive would be very useful, I wish making a 100% self illuminated material (for a mobile screen, laptop, tv, glowboard etc) were as simple as it was earlier.

I'll explain this on the webinar next week but our entire material model changed from .4 to .5. This is for many good reasons. One of the materials that was most affected is the emissive material. It will be normal to see brightness differences from old files and this is because the old material model had a bug where the brightness coefficient of the emissive material was wrong and we had to do a bunch of extra things to it to try and get it as close to "right" in the ui. The bug has since been fixed and now we try and make changes to your file to take something was was incorrrect and fix it as best as possible when using the new and correct emissive material. Confusing sometime these things happen.
    David Randle / General Manager / Bunkspeed

FYI, problem has been fixed in last hotfix. Thanks a lot.

+ Reply to Thread