+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Checkerboard pattern on Glass and Paint materials

Tried it again with a new glass material the checkerboard pattern still appeared.....................and then it crashed!

I agree that our older projects may break as the software is improved I'm just not sure if this is an improvement or a bug.

I just noticed some people are using an OS that is over 10 years old because of a recent screen grab. I'm actually surprised Bunkspeed hasn't gone with Adobe on that one and just decided to only support Operating systems from the last 5 years.

Are you guys using XP? If so, how are you keeping your hardware up to date?

I hope that isn't my screen grab you are referring to! Bunkspeed don't support XP.

I've seen a few. And I don't know if they support it or not. I know Adobe doesn't.

Yeah, I believe we haven't officially supported Windows XP since our Pro/Drive 2012 release.

Any chance we can bring this thread back on topic and discuss the artifacts with the glass material?????

Ryan can you say whether these checkerboard artifacts are a bug because they certainly weren't this bad before?

Sorry. I was just saying....I'm not getting the same artifacts you guys are. So that's interesting to me.
    Maybe save out the same scene so I can also give it a go? If it happens on one or two systems, and not on another that will greatly narrow down the problem for them, assuming they don't already know what it is. And I figured they would have chimed in by now if they knew it was a problem. It seems like a few more Bunkspeed guys are on the forum a bit more actively now.

Untitled Project 9.jpg Same issue this is a sphere with the default "Window Glass" material unchanged. 1500 passes Jpeg. BTW this took 8 min to render at 1920x1080 that seems like a long time to me for a sphere

Win7
    Prosuite
    Dual I7 processors
    Dual Quadro 6000's
    24 gig of memory

Yes, 8 minutes for Dual Quadro 6000's is ridiculous. I have 2 GTX 570's and did 1000 frames in a bout a minute. I just did it in view so only know it was less than 2 minutes, and also did square just under 1200, that's how tall my monitor is. Still those results should be similar. There's no way my setup would be that many times faster than yours. It should only be slightly faster.

Doing some more testing I realized that it's coming and going every 500. So every 1000, the checkerboard is completely resolved. Every 1000 frames, starting with 500, the checkerboard is fully visible.

So until this is fixed, I guess we're all stuck rounding frames up to the nearest thousand. For me that means choosing 1, 2, or 3k depending on how long I have. It would suck to do a render by time and use 6 hours only to have it end on 4500 frames where 4000 frames was way better.

I thought iray 3.0 was supposed to fix the checkerboard pattern phenomenon? The checkerboard pattern was supposed to be replaced with a more randomized pattern so a distinct pattern would no longer show.

+ Reply to Thread