+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Artwork files with transparent areas

Artwork files with transparent areas

I'm trying to place an artwork on top of a pale blue, moulded plastic material. I've tried a number of different things in the color texture channel, using .png and .tiff files with transparency saved and alpha channels saved, (and switching "blend texture" on and off) but can't seem to get this to work. I can get exactly what I want with raytrace off, but as soon as I switch this on, the blue material changes to black. I'm new to Bunkspeed and have no experience of using transparencies and channels this way (previously used stencils in Alias Design), so there's a possibility that I'm just doing something wrong. However, I find it strange how the appearance changes from right to wrong when raytracing is switched on? Can anyone confirm whether this is normal behaviour or possibly another Iray 3 bug?

Also, can anyone point me in the direction of a good guide applicable to Bunkspeed, on transparencies/alpha channels/layers for texture creation and what happens to these when they are saved in png and tiff formats? (I use Photoshop). There seems to be a lot of information on this area, used slightly differently in different programs for webpage design, 2D/3D graphics and video editing and I don't want to tie myself in knots learning a method that then has no relevance to the way Bunkspeed sees these files.

I've tried using decals as well, but this doesn't seem to be working too well at the moment - the width and height sliders seem to be connected (even when the padlock is open), they sometimes don't slide at all and the text window doesn't let you enter in certain values.
    3XS X79 Intel Core i7 3930K 3.2GHz Hex Core, overclocked to 4.4Ghz 32GB RAM
    Nvidia Quadro 6000, Tesla C2075 (driver 297.03) - GPU Mode, using both
    Windows 7 Professional 64-Bit SP1 Bunkspeed Pro 2012.6.0
    Solid models created in Creo Parametric 2.0, exported as *.obj in mm and imported into Bunkspeed with "Auto-size" switched off.

The appropriate way to tackle this would be to use a decal with an alpha channel. Tiff files tend to work the best for decals. We will look into the decal width and height sliders misbehaving.
    David Randle / General Manager / Bunkspeed

Quote Originally Posted by david.randle View Post
    The appropriate way to tackle this would be to use a decal with an alpha channel. Tiff files tend to work the best for decals. We will look into the decal width and height sliders misbehaving.
    The bug's fixed now; sorry for missing that one in the last rev. It'll go live very soon.

Also, you can use the move/rotate/scale manipulators on decals in the viewport; I find those easier to manipulate, especially for decals.

Agreed, Decals in either PNG or TIFF work absolutely fine in the latest version for me... just ensure the areas that are to be transparent are so in PS before saving.
    James Lovell

Bunkspeed: Shot 2012.6.0.10
    Autodesk: AutoCAD 2014 : Inventor Professional 2014 : 3DS Max 2014 : Showcase 2014 : Mudbox 2014
    Adobe: Creative Cloud CC

Dell T5600 - 8(16)-Core Xeon E5-2687W - 16GB ECC RAM (Hyper-threading Enabled)
    Windows 7 Professional SP1
    Nvidia Quadro 4000 2GB RAM (320.00 Driver)

Thanks for the help folks. I've managed to get it working now, using detached, multiple part decals with *.png files (creating a masked alpha channel in PS first) and using the viewport manipulators. Before this, I also played around with various flavours of TIFFs, non detached and non-multiple part decals in various combinations and these would not render - either in the viewport or saving out. I'm not sure which of these options were causing it to fail. Apologies I can't be more specific - I was just button bashing until it worked!

Glad to hear that the slider bug is getting fixed.

I've also been getting the "initializing" error sometimes when switching to raytrace in the viewport and have found that I can get the render started by moving the camera in some way or changing the environment brightness.
    3XS X79 Intel Core i7 3930K 3.2GHz Hex Core, overclocked to 4.4Ghz 32GB RAM
    Nvidia Quadro 6000, Tesla C2075 (driver 297.03) - GPU Mode, using both
    Windows 7 Professional 64-Bit SP1 Bunkspeed Pro 2012.6.0
    Solid models created in Creo Parametric 2.0, exported as *.obj in mm and imported into Bunkspeed with "Auto-size" switched off.

Quote Originally Posted by Phimy View Post
    I've also been getting the "initializing" error sometimes when switching to raytrace in the viewport and have found that I can get the render started by moving the camera in some way or changing the environment brightness.
    Same thing here!
    James Lovell

Bunkspeed: Shot 2012.6.0.10
    Autodesk: AutoCAD 2014 : Inventor Professional 2014 : 3DS Max 2014 : Showcase 2014 : Mudbox 2014
    Adobe: Creative Cloud CC

Dell T5600 - 8(16)-Core Xeon E5-2687W - 16GB ECC RAM (Hyper-threading Enabled)
    Windows 7 Professional SP1
    Nvidia Quadro 4000 2GB RAM (320.00 Driver)

That "initializing" error has been a problem for too long in my opinion. I think it works also by switching cameras, then switching back.
    If you're camera is locked then the "move it, then undo" trick doesn't work.

I wonder if that problem is also linked to another. Fairly often in raster mode I get no environment projected reflections, and no shading on my parts. Flipping the background color on/off a time or two usually does the trick.

+ Reply to Thread