+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: importing models from rhino

hello david,

i have another problem when importing files from rhino:

when you use the standart geometries of rhino to build volumes like cube,tube or sphere etc. thereīs no geometry imported to bunkspeed. thatīs also sometimes the case when you draw aclosed outline and then extrude it as a volume. Normally it works when you explode the volumes in rhino into seperate surfaces but yesterday we had a file in which that didnīt work for some parts....????

There could be a few problems. Block instances is one. Make sure those are all removed. Block instances don't work properly when exported to bunkspeed.
    Also, did you remember to shade after exploding and joining?
    There is also a convert command inside rhino. I think it's convert extrusion. Certain geometry, like a cube, may be created by extrusion. Spheres should still contain geometry though. I've never had a problem with that.

Finally, the simplest trick is to just save the file as Rhino 4. The gets rid of all the new geometry features in one step. That will Not fix problems of block instances though.
    Run the command, SelBlockInstances. If anything shows up, explode it. Deselect, and run the command again. Repeat until nothing is selected.
    Warning: when you explode a block instance the geometry will jump to the default layer. It's kind of annoying. There are some exploding scripts that exist, and that's what I use whenever I get a file with instances.

@ andy thank you, but iīm not talking about block instances we know about that, itīs usually the case when importing into rhino from alias or solidworks as step or iges. so thats not what iīm talking about, that works fine with explode geometry. itīs about geometry created in rhino and only standart volumes and extruded curves as volumes. it works fine if you have a closed volume made of several nurbs-surfaces.

Yes, so the easy answer is to save the file down as Rhino 4. It will convert those shapes to standard geometry because those definitions didn't exist in rhino 4.

hello guys,
    i would like to mention that you canīt import files with sublayers from rhino into bunkspeed. we found it out because some of my collegues work in rhino with sublayers.

+ Reply to Thread