+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Did some testing and experiment with visualize beta

Smile Did some testing and experiment with visualize beta

Displacement is working now
    Attached Images

Does the displacement feature auto-tessellate or is it based on the old displacement in bunkspeed which produces poor results on a low poly mesh?

Donīt think that there is a auto-tessalation or other improvements made.The hole beta looks more as a bug-fixed version of BS for me.Perhaps David can tell you/us more.
    Displacements are working again,Textures are rendered in the final image now,no crash when saving projects with configurations.
    There are some small interface changes,maxwell is supported now and you have physics and a bloom effect.

Quote Originally Posted by blitz View Post
    Does the displacement feature auto-tessellate or is it based on the old displacement in bunkspeed which produces poor results on a low poly mesh?
    Displacement has always auto-tessellated. It does so at 2 polygons per pixel of the texture image. With that said, we do not automatically unify normals nor adjust tessellation to generate uniform triangles. You must take care of both these items if you want good displacement results.
    David Randle / General Manager / Bunkspeed

Quote Originally Posted by WorkingImage View Post
    Donīt think that there is a auto-tessalation or other improvements made.The hole beta looks more as a bug-fixed version of BS for me.Perhaps David can tell you/us more.
    Displacements are working again,Textures are rendered in the final image now,no crash when saving projects with configurations.
    There are some small interface changes,maxwell is supported now and you have physics and a bloom effect.
    Glad to hear that the stability is being noticed. The majority of energy in this release went towards bug fixing/improvements and items required by SolidWorks to "fit in". Couple of new features, mostly surrounding performance/interactivity but overall, Visualize should feel a ton better.

More Visualize Beta Tests

Be interesting to see what SW users are creating with the Beta. I wouldn't classify myself exclusively as a user...umm...?? Used to be SW R&D, now do 50% dev and 50% visulization work on my own... Although back doing some contracting at SW R&D. Nevertheless, playing with Visuazlie Beta myself and here's a few quick tests I had done to mainly look at performance. Was particularly interested in the clear plastic stuff as I'd just been doing some similar work in Modo...

BC1_FC.jpg
    BC2_FC.jpg
    PorscheTest1_0500_PASSES.jpg

Ron - great examples of products with complex transparency. Visualize handles those situations effortlessly. One tip....try turning up the floor reflection and roughness all the way up under the environment settings. This will allow the floor plane to collect caustics and make images like you've shared look even better.

Lookin' good! thanks for sharing.

clear plastic

Quote Originally Posted by david.randle View Post
    Ron - great examples of products with complex transparency. Visualize handles those situations effortlessly. One tip....try turning up the floor reflection and roughness all the way up under the environment settings. This will allow the floor plane to collect caustics and make images like you've shared look even better.

Lookin' good! thanks for sharing.
    Yeah the syringe models were an explicit test of setting up clear plastics. A notoriously tough one with some renderers. I think they came out looking quite nice. White edges...as opposed to darker edges which is more of a glassy look (IMO) anyway. Of course I used SSS type to achieve it and it's obviously a bit slow.

I'll have to try the floor suggestion. It's a bit odd to me...I would have thought a generally DIFFUSE floor would be what you want to pick up caustics. If I had physical geometry on the floor, instead of using the shadow catcher, would I still need to make it reflective to see caustics? Or is this just a byproduct of the special shadow catcher..??

This workflow is only necessary when using the special shadow catcher ground plane. If you put a physical plane below your object with a diffuse material it will pick up caustics automatically.

+ Reply to Thread