+ Reply to Thread

Thread: renders keep failing

Angry renders keep failing

I have been trying to render an image for days, literally 4 days! . . . I know it's a large file and I am trying to render it out to a very large size but I have tried several different ways and it never gets passed 'initializing renderer' before I get Job failed. Please any advice would be awesome. I know I can't be the only one trying to render an image this large so I don't know what the problem is.

The polygon count is 33,956,493 and I am trying to render it out to a 30'wide image at 180 dpi. I know it's complex. I've tried rendering it several different ways - with powerboost and without with a time limit and with a certain number of passes and nothing works. This image is going to go on a 30' wide wall that is going to be sitting on the floor where people will be able to walk right up to it so I want the highest best quality I can get . . . is it just not possible? Is it a limitation of my computer??????

First things first, What is your hardware? CPU, RAM, GPU's?

This is an extremely tall order in both image size AND polygon count but we'll certainly see what advice we can give.
    David Randle / General Manager / Bunkspeed

I would suggest you try that on CPU only, and you'll probably want 24-32GB of RAM. Definitely try using Queue as well. Make sure you close Pro after you submit it and allow a minute to two for it to Really close before starting the queue. Open up your task manager and watch the ram count up. If you get past 80% of your limit just running on your CPU then you'll probably need more RAM to handle the file. I wouldn't think that your video card can render an image 64 thousand pixels wide, but I might be surprised. Just saving that size image should take 1.68trillion bits, so about 200MB. If you only have a 2GB card, that's 10 percent of your memory right there, just being able to hold that image for saving. I know if I were to render something that big in MR in 3dsMax I'd have to do some instancing, working with pagefiles, and probably proxy's in order to render that without crashing.
    Back in the days when those things didn't exist as readily, we would have to lay out our entire scene, then render parts of it out at a time, then composite it together.

First, test if you can render something simple at that resolution.
    ---No? then see how big you can get, and see if resizing is good enough.
    ---Yes? Then you can render out parts of your scene at once. Delete the right 60% of what you see and render that. Open the file again and delete the left 60% of what you see and render that. Composite together. If that's not enough, then cut it into smaller sections. You'll have to keep in any parts of the scene that interact with eachother though. By that I mean, if an object is in the reflection, you need it. That's why the 60% I mentioned. If that Still doesn't work, then you can model more simple versions of those things for reflections and use those to overlap instead. That's a lot of work.

Still not working? Bunkspeed is great, but isn't for everything. You might need to use something else, or hire it out. PM me if you'd like to take a look.

Great suggestions Andy. Thanks for chiming in.

I have an Intel Xeon CPU X5690 @ 3.47 GHz and 3.46 GHz with 24GB of RAM on a 64 bit OS . . . and it has a NVIDIA Quadro 6000.

What program is the source geometry from? Is this data that was tessellated in Bunkspeed or did it come in as polygons? I have had renders fail for odd reasons such as a bad poly normal or inverted normals. On one project there was a coil spring that had some flaw that caused to whole thing not to render. It was just trial and error to spot the issue. I targeted that piece as suspect because it was so much more complex in it's poly structure than any of the other geometry. Once I deleted or disabled that part, everything was fine.
    BTW, that piece was tessellated in Proe and not Bunkspeed. I've had funky issues with geometry out of Alias on rare occasions as well.

Cinny -

That's not enough system ram to execute an image of that size. That's why its failing. If you have access to a machine with more, i would try that and try rendering in CPU mode. We have 2 machines available for service work at the moment that have 48 GB ram so we can give it a try if you want. contact Angela@bunkspeed.com please.

+ Reply to Thread