+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: hold material to keep from deleting

hold material to keep from deleting

Delete unused materials. That's nice.
    Wait....I needed the other two color options for this file. Shoot, I can't use that.

What I'd like to see:
    select material
    hold material checkbox, check it

delete unused materials. Hold material checkbox materials are flagged as "in use" so don't get deleted.

+1 for that - I've run into this same issue many times.

Or create a "save to custom colors" box in the color picker palette and have it write to the document so those special colors are saved to the .bip file?
    Last edited by haknslash; 03-07-2013 at 10:46 PM.
    Kenny Wilson
    900D ASUS Maximus VI Extreme 4770k 3x GTX 780 Ti's AX1200i 32GB RAM H100i a lot of SP120 fans
    Bunkspeed Shot Pro 2014

I'm not sure I follow Kenny. The materials are already saved to the file. Or you can export them to a library or individual file outside of your file.
    I'm just trying to avoid deleting materials that aren't assigned to anything, but I want them always available to the scene. So I have a Red and Blue option. My current config might be Red, so blue isn't assigned to anything. I might have imported another file, assigned materials to it, and now I have a bunch of extra ones. I can't just delete unused materials because then I lose my blue.
    So What I'm asking for is a checkbox that would allow you to lock that material in place. Something that says, this Isn't an unused material.

Right now the only way to do that is to create a model, assign that object, then disable the object. That's quite doable, but it's a pain. And I don't like to do Anything out of the ordinary in Bunkspeed. It's already incredibly unstable.

You are wanting to save the color right? Why save a material when all you really want is the color? I delete all of my unused materials as it seems to keep things running smooth. Same with any environments, plates, etc.

If all you want is the ability to call upon a specific color you used when creating a material but decided for one reason or another not to use it, then it seems less of a task on memory and performance to retain a saved color than keeping a material just for the sake of keeping it.
    Kenny Wilson
    900D ASUS Maximus VI Extreme 4770k 3x GTX 780 Ti's AX1200i 32GB RAM H100i a lot of SP120 fans
    Bunkspeed Shot Pro 2014

No, not just color. It's diffuse color, reflection color, glossiness, IOR and Usually that's it.
    But even if it's color, where would you suppose I put that information? Keeping a material shouldn't affect the memory situation at all. If it is, someone's doing it wrong. The only memory it should be using is actually In bunkspeed software holding the thumbnail. I've used the same scenes in 3dsMax with about 200 materials with no noticeable change in memory.

I was under the impression that BS performs better by removing any unused materials. Same with environments, plates, etc. Pretty sure someone within BS has mentioned this on the forum or in one of my emails. If not, oh well, I could easily be mistaken.

Edit - here ya go http://forum.bunkspeed.com/showthrea...ghlight=unused. The fact David is mentioning those as tips to manage memory and says "This will free up the History stored in memory" should give you an indication it does indeed affect performance. How much? Depends on the rig I suppose.
    Last edited by haknslash; 03-12-2013 at 09:29 PM.
    Kenny Wilson
    Bunkspeed Shot Pro 2014

Dang all this talk about saving a color and I just realized BS already does what I was suggesting lol. I feel like a bonehead.

Open color picker palette and there is the "favorites" boxes on the bottom of the palette. This data gets written to the project file and will stay there even if you delete the material you created the color(s) with. It will only remove the "favorite color" from the project once you RMB and select "Remove Color". Sweet! (see attached)

As far as retaining specific values in various types of materials, I think in your case it sounds like you just need to retain the material and not delete it. I don't understand the reasoning of "holding a material" only to use some attributes in some other material, which in a sense is using the material you are wanting to hold. Why not just use it in the first place? Sorry if I'm not following and I'm certainly not trying to bash your request, I'm just having a hard time understanding the use of such a requested feature.

If you can record a session showing how this scenario comes up then that would probably help connect the dots for me.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by haknslash; 03-12-2013 at 09:30 PM.
    Kenny Wilson
    Bunkspeed Shot Pro 2014

Ok, you have 3 different materials, NOT just colors, that you apply to the same object. Well you only have 1 material at a time.

That's it. So if you remove unused materials, then it deletes those.

Ah, gotcha now!
    Kenny Wilson
    Bunkspeed Shot Pro 2014

+ Reply to Thread