+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Ability to do Transparency

Ability to do Transparency

For engineering and probably many other things, it would be very useful to be able to set the visibility of parts to something other than shown or hidden. For example, I have a large assembly of mechanical parts (imagine like the transmission of a car) and I would like, for presentation purposes, to be able to highlight certain parts at a time by having them fully visible while almost, but not entirely, hiding all the other parts in the assembly. I basically mean setting the visibility of parts to 20% or something like that.

It would be very valuable because you could see internal parts yet still have a good sense of the overall package.

You can do this by using a grey scale image in the Alpha slot of the material you have applied to the parts you want to make transparent. Just create a small grey scale image in Photoshop and use that, if the image is white the part will be fully opaque, if the image is black the part will be fully transparent. You'll probably have to experiment to see which level of grey gives you the level of transparency you're after. Also you'll need to check the "Brightness as Alpha" option when you load the texture.

Great response JohnG. That technique works very well.

Also, you can achieve something similar by rendering out multiple renders and then compositing in Photoshop. Not the most ideal workflow currently, but this will help to give ultimate flexibility.
    Brian Hillner / Manager Business Development, Design & Consulting / Bunkspeed

+ Reply to Thread