+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Lighting and scene questions

Lighting and scene questions

Hello,

I am new to the Bunkspeed rendering world and am wondering if there is a way to render a white object on a white background while also having a reflective ground plane reflect the white object?

I tried importing a ground plane and adding a reflective material to it, but it didn't work.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

I also have a reference/test image.

I just want the object to be reflected on the floor.

Thanks!

concentrator02 4.jpg

Have you turned on reflections in your environments tab? If so, you shouldn't need a ground plane. Also, reflecting white on a white ground can be challenging, especially from a higher camera angle like your test image. If possible, try lowering the camera angle to be level with the product.

Hey amoncur,

I did use the reflections in the environment tab and it didn't work so then I tried to use the ground plane method, but as you said, reflecting white on a white background is challenging. I will work on reducing the camera angle and post some of my results

Thanks A lot!

Hi adpad21 -

As amoncur pointed out, achieving a a ground reflection on a white background is very challenging. THe reflection will show up only in the shadows of the model. Lowering your camera angle might help.

All the magazine adds and specifically Apple product beauty shots are heavily photoshopped. You might want to try adding a fake ground reflection in PSD by duplicating the layer and lowering its opacity. Then use a large soft brush with a very low opacity to remove the lower parts of the reflection. To help make things easier, in the Render settings, choose PNG as the file format and check the Alpha Channel box. This will remove the background from your image and allow you to complete the above steps much easier in PSD.
    Brian Hillner / Manager Business Development, Design & Consulting / Bunkspeed

realistically, having a reflection on pure white is unrealistic anyway. Pure white is only really achieved with light, but the computer lets us put in the number anyway. Try setting an object on a lightbox, while lit, and look at the reflection. It takes a minute for your eyes to adjust to see anything. Now take a picture of it. You, more than likely, will notice you get zero reflection. The camera does it's balancing on the product, not the light. The computer allows us to do something slightly in between.

A fairly simple way to accomplish this instead is to change your background to light grey. Try something like 85%. Then adjust the levels of the whole image in photoshop so your background is white. This will give you a slightly more realistic looking ground reflection anyway. It's not possible to reflect white on white. It's already white. You can't make it More white without rendering as HDR, and that won't display as More white on your display. It just records it that way.

+ Reply to Thread