+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Refraction issue diamond ring render

Refraction issue diamond ring render

I have a scene with a diamond ring. When a diamond sits in the shank the render looks very bad. The refraction doesnt look good at all. Its far away from a real diamond. However once i hide the shank and render only diamond it looks good. On some other software i used to turn visibility off for refraction rays on the metal so it will not affect diamond refraction but i am not sure how to do it in bunkspeed??

Thanks

Post an image so we can get a better idea ...
    Kenny Wilson
    900D ASUS Maximus VI Extreme 4770k 3x GTX 780 Ti's AX1200i 32GB RAM H100i a lot of SP120 fans
    Bunkspeed Shot Pro 2014

Left image is render of diamonds and shank together. Diamonds doesnt look real and you can not see the proper form.
    Right image present diamonds rendered alone without shank. They look much better and you can clearly see the diamond form inside.

Last edited by captainn; 08-20-2013 at 07:38 AM.

Looks to me like you might have some intersecting surfaces. You cannot have the geometry of the gemstones overlap the geometry of the ring, this is particularly important on the pavilion. Usually if you can hide the ring and render the stones just fine it's a dead give away that your surfaces overlap. Go back to your cad package and create cutters a little bigger than the stones and boolean them out, then come back and giver her another go

Happy rendering

Interesting surfaces is a must. Thats how design of the ring was created. I think the problem is that the surface of the ring is visible in diamond refraction but i dont know how to solve it

You can't do that with iray. So if that's what you're looking for, you'll have to look elsewhere. You Can, however, ensure you're using a gem material with the correct abbe number, use the advanced caustics, and cross your fingers.

Also, scale matters with this sort of thing. You probably modeled it to scale, but that doesn't mean it's to scale in bunkspeed. They have a very confusing scaling system. I'm guessing you work in millimeters. Try scaling one of your rings up by 100. And have another copy scaled up by 1000. That should allow bunkspeed to fit you in the correct box if using autoscale.
    And who knows, one of them might look correct at 10 times the scale. I know it's odd, but it's worked for me before.

Quote Originally Posted by captainn View Post
    Interesting surfaces is a must. Thats how design of the ring was created. I think the problem is that the surface of the ring is visible in diamond refraction but i dont know how to solve it
    Captainn, you cannot have metal geometry intersect with your gem geometry. It will not produce realistic results as you have shown. As jay said, you have to boolean out the areas that intersect with your gem models. You will never get the correct results without doing that in your cad software. You cannot exclude certain parts in bunkspeed from refraction or reflection.

You are right! The intersecting geometry was the problem! Thank you guys.

Glad that problem was resolved...thanks guys for all the great feedback here.

As a rule of thumb, the green Y axis of our world axis is 1 meter tall in real world scale. That might help to determine how big/small your models import into Bunkspeed.
    Brian Hillner / Manager Business Development, Design & Consulting / Bunkspeed

+ Reply to Thread