+ Reply to Thread

Thread: No Fast Mode in the 3D Viewport? - 2014 Version

Unhappy No Fast Mode in the 3D Viewport? - 2014 Version

Hey guys, I didn't know which section to go to, so here goes.

I've noticed that, amongst many differences between BETA 2014 and the final version, there's no FAST Mode in the real-time viewport. Just Preview and Accurate. So FAST mode only exists as a rendering engine, am I right?

I was wondering why was this decision made since I remember benefiting significantly from the Fast Mode Viewport. I ended up using it all the time (with enhanced interactivity) cause it was so, so fast that it served as a preview mode with a lot more quality.

Anyways, I'm hoping there's a switch somewhere I'm missing.

Cheers!
    chinogam.

Go to help>about
    what version is listed there?

You're in CPU mode. Switch to GPU mode.

Oh, I didn't even know about that one. That makes sense. There's no speeding up CPU, so you might as well go with accurate.

Also, I'm guessing that "Fast" mode is only faster on newer graphics cards? I only have Fermi (2x GTX 570's) and fast mode isn't any faster than accurate for the first few frames. And lets face it. The first few frames are the only ones that matter while you're moving around the scene. It has enough limitations, a big one being that it only renders to 100 frames) that it's uses are extremely limited. If you use a mixture materials, some of which are glossy and some not, then your scene will appear too noisy. There is limited/no bounced lighting, so any cavities are not an accurate representation. And I think the reflection/refraction limit is set to 1/4? I haven't calculated it, but that's my guess from what I've seen. In 3dsMax you have control of all that. It would be nice if we could have control of that in the settings. I'd like to just turn on/off what I want, as well as change the number of frames for fast mode. For now I just have no use for it. I'm not saying it isn't useful to some. But I am not among those people.

@chinogam - As artem said, the Fast rendering mode is only available when in GPU or Hybrid mode. I suggest using GPU mode when using the new Fast rendering mode. The reason it is not available in CPU mode is becuase Fast mode is optimized to run only one one GPU.

@ andy - Good comment to be able to change the ending pass count for Fast mode. Yes, Fast mode does have it's limitations since it is a faster biased-renderer, so accurately rendering advanced materials or even some reflections are better suited for Accurate mode. For most users, this mode will be very beneficial to produce very fast final renders or evaluate your materials. Also Fast mode calculates it's FPS at a different rate than Accurate mode, so 10.00 fps in Accurate mode might be something closer to 3.00 fps in Fast mode.
    Brian Hillner / Manager Business Development, Design & Consulting / Bunkspeed

I have a problem now, even in GPU mode only, the Fast mode doesn't work.
    I have a black screen with "Passes:0 - INTERNAL RENDERING ERROR" on the bottom panel :/

Strange because it worked, in the past. I have a Quadro for display and a Geforce for CUDA app (set in nvidia control panel). Is there a link?

Thanks!

PS: I know that Fast works with only one GPU, but in case of two, it isn't suppose to take the chosen CUDA gpu?

@ Asalert - No, Fast mode uses the main Graphics card at this time, not any secondary CUDA device. This could change in the future....
    David Randle / General Manager / Bunkspeed

Ok, it was what I imagined ... So Fast mode dislike my Quadro! Maybe the drivers, I will search why...

Yes, it's exactly that: my Quadro 600 (for display) hasn't a correct driver. That I choose is dedicate to my Geforce.
    I've tried one which work for both, but my mini quadro is soooo slow (only 96 CUDA Cores ahaha!) ! So at the end, the Fast mode is just a "Slow Biased Accurate mode" for me lol. But it's logical.

No problem from BS anyway, in comes from my choice to have a special dedicate card for it (Geforce)

About this, as I understood, Preview and Fast are working with the main/display CUDA card, instead of Accurate which could work with one or all the CUDA devices. I'm right?
    Also, by experience with the 331.82 driver, it's buggy because in the Nvidia Control Panel even if you choose yourself which one card will work for CUDA app, it don't care, it come back to the default settings...

+ Reply to Thread